Surfing is a salty, fun and blissful sport that is equally empowering and inspiring. When you are immersed in nature and surrounded by water, your perspective of life changes in a very positive way. For some, surfing is a way of escaping their daily routine; for others, the ocean is their playground and ‘happy place’; and for others like me, it’s our passion and daily mojo addiction.
Things to Consider when buying a Surfboard
If you have enjoyed a surfing adventure and have ridden some fun waves; have grasped the fundamental skills of surfing and mastered your pop-up techniques; and have spent lots of time in the ocean having fun in the waves, then you are ready to buy a new surfboard! Below is a list of my top tips when selecting the perfect board for you:
• Be super honest with yourself and know what you want from surfing, and also what your surfing level is.
• It’s always good to get some expert recommendations when choosing the right board, so ask your surfer friends and shapers in your local surf shop for advice.
• If you’re new to surfing and this is your first board, get a second-hand (fiberglass or Epoxy) surfboard.
• Make sure your surfboard has the right dimensions. This is very important and is a personal preferance issue. The more you weigh, the wider and thicker the surfboard should be. Rule for beginners: if you’re buying your first board, make sure it’s one foot longer than your height.
• If you are a natural longboard rider, get yourself a nice longboard (starting from 9.0 foot).
• If you are keen to be more radical and playful, get a mini-malibu (7.4 to 8.0 foot). They’re easy to handle and you can enjoy riding small to medium waves.
• If you want to amp up your surfing abilities and prefer a cool retro style, get a fish board. They have a fish tale, so are great for carving and making lots of fun turns, cutbacks and ‘floaters’ on the waves.
• Jump in the water and take your new board for a paddle. Get to know it and practice, practice practice! Enjoy every single ride and take your surfing to a fun new level.
• Once you have mastered your technique and feel ready for the next level, ditch the second-hand board and buy a custom-made one (crafted especially for you).
Your Escape Haven Bali Retreat offers a luxury wellness experience for body, mind and soul
We invite you to experience our award-winning Bali yoga retreat. If it’s time to fill up your cup and reconnect with yourself on a deeper level, we’d love to help you rejuvenate, unwind, reawaken and experience the very best of Bali. Dive into transformational yoga and meditation classes, exhilarating surf lessons in the warm waters of Bali, fun fitness classes and restorative healing sessions. How much or little you do is all up to you.