What do you think of the new entrant on our Bali yoga retreat desert menu? We love these delicious, gut loving little bites inspired from the good folk at Ben Pure. We have adapted them and added our Bali spin with dragonfruit, cashews and honey. It uses gut super star gelatin. This food shoot was alot of fun and there were no left overs after we made these in our Bali retreat test kitchen!
Like collagen, gelatin is packed with amazing amino acids, especially the anti-aging superstars glycine and proline, which are lacking in the most Western diets. These amino acids make gelatin especially powerful for healing skin, sealing a leaky gut and repairing joint damage. It also helps with better sleep, reduces sugar cravings and reduces inflammation in the body. Not only that but it supports detox by detoxifying your liver, process toxins, and flush heavy metals. No need to feel guilty indulging in this sweet snack that punches well above its weight with its super powers!
Serves 8 | GF, DF
Peanut Butter Crust
- 1 cup ground almonds or cashews
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup of frozen berries
- 1/2 cup of coconut water
- 1.5 Tablespoon of gelatin
- Organic maple syrup or raw honey
- Chopped up dragonfruit or you can use freeze dried raspberries if dragonfruit aren’t in season. Sprinkle these on top.
- Stir together all of the peanut butter crust ingredients until a moist dough is formed.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the lined loaf pan, and place it in the freezer to set.
- While the crust sets, heat your frozen berries until defrosted but still cold.
- Puree them in your blender.
- Strain your berry puree through a sieve to remove any seeds. This should leave you with 1/2 cup of berry juice.
- Place the berry juice, coconut water, gelatin and sweetener, if using, in a saucepan. Heat over a low heat, whisking until fully combined. Cook for another 5 minutes until simmering at the edges. It should thicken a little. Do not boil!
- Pour over the peanut butter base and pop in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped dragonfruit or freeze dried rasperries.